Thursday, January 08, 2009

2008 Hotel California #6

#6. Each and every year another we Hotel Californians have made great strides in life. We accomplish more than the last year. We elevate our game of life. We strive to better ourselves. We become more professional. More of a leader. And then there’s Joe. This year’s #6 event goes to the Deacon for his extraordinary feat of finding his bliss. He’s already reached that milestone of finding his greatest potential, captured it, bottled it and now is just fine-tuning. Joe has successfully found his groundhog year and is repeating it over and over. I think he’s found bliss. We could all take a page from our boy Joe. How do I know this? Well, I accidentally was included on one his emails sent to the UVCC guys volleyball squad. Somehow I got mixed in with Brad Collins, Steve Vail and boys who received this mature, thought-provoking, pinnacle of life email.

From: Joseph Hillman [mailto:joehillman11@hotmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 1:43 PM
To: amber t; Brad Collins; candice hillman; Jamie Webb; joe peck; mitch sidowsky; steve Vail
Subject: FW: My Mormon Upbringing
From: Mary Jane Thompson
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2008 9:41 AM
To: Joseph Hillman; Graydon HendersonSubject: FW: My Mormon Upbringing

As I walked down the busy footpath, knowing I was late for an important meeting, my eye fell upon one of those unfortunate, homeless vagabonds that are found in every city these days. Wearing what can only be described as rags, carrying every worldly possession in two plastic bags, my heart was touched by this person's condition. Some people turned to stare. Others quickly looked away as if the sight would somehow contaminate them. Recalling some long ago Bishop who made an admonition to 'care for the sick, feed the hungry and clothe the naked,' I was moved by some powerful inner urge to reach out to this unfortunate person. Yes, where some people saw only rags, I saw a hidden beauty. A small voice inside my head called out, 'Reach out, reach out!'




So I did..........

I Won't be at Priesthood this Sunday!!

You know you’ve arrived when this is what you’re doing at 1:43pm on a Thursday. Peak of life. You know you’ve arrived when you can play some volleyball at Kiwanis Beach on Friday afternoon. You’ve hit the highest point. You know you’re arrived when you and the twin brothers Larry and Laurence can grab it bite and hit the nicklecade. You’ve reached your zenith. You know you’ve arrived when you can find an 8th year of eligibility to play for UVCC volleyball. Congrats Joe! All us aspiring Hotel Californians are still climbing. I, for one, try and reach the top by writing all this meaningful, useful, uplifting, Pulitzer Prize winning content in the Hotel California Top Ten. Hours of my day are put to good use right here on this very forum. That is why I will return tomorrow and break down the #5 and #4 events of 2008.

No comments: